[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Wed Sep 19 21:10:48 PDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> So you save $6000 but it costs you $8000 more (at
> least).  If prices have any kind of sanity (questionable), it is better
> to not buy the apparently less wasteful or "greedy" vehicle.

  --eh?

  The Prius wasn't the greedy vehicle;
  It was the $12,000 car.

  Let's go back to "greedy:"

    * the destructive urge of wanting to have something,
      in excess of "need" or "want," in excess of health,
      either for myself, or for others.

  If you could have afforded the 50mpg car, the 25mpg is the greedy car.

  Buying the Prius, you contribute to your own health, the health
  of our society, and the world.

  You're using 50% less gasoline.  You're showing the world that you care
  about the environment, and that it's cool to do so.  Perhaps more
  valuably, you're showing yourself that you care- which will give you warm
  fuzzies, and make you feel more generous and helpful.

  (Ok, ...
   Take a moment to wipe off the bits of Tom Higgins' brain;
   I think it just exploded.)

  Buying the 25mpg car, you're ... what, getting the exact same care,
  but for just $2,000 less?  If that was a lot of money for you, I would
  understand.  If the $12,000 was super-special-- perhaps your girlfriend
  wanted **just that model,** I could understand.

  But otherwise, I'd say that spending $2,000 more is "less greedy,"
  because it takes health into account.

> There are a lot of other things like this.  A more general case is
> people's time vs. service vs. consumption tradeoffs.  If someone is
> getting paid a lot, presumably society is valuing their efforts highly
> enough that it makes sense for them to pay for services or consumption
> to maximize their efficiency so that society gets full benefit of that time.

  "...presumably society is valuing their efforts highly enough..."

  I wonder if it's really *society,* that is doing the valuing.

  I'd have to think about that claim for a while.

  Lion Kimbro  206.427.2545  http://www.speakeasy.org/~lion/