[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Thu Sep 20 10:06:10 PDT 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 8:36:27AM, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> ~165,000 people die EVERY DAY of hunger on this planet.  How can
> anyone describe it as a land of plenty?

That's easy.  I don't believe those people died because their isn't
enough food.  Those people died because the situation they're in
prevented them from getting food.  I also don't believe that that
situation is the western worlds "fault".  The 3rd world has a boot on
their neck of awful, corrupt, evil government that is preventing them
from achieving the growth that would get them out of the sinkhole
they're in.  Certainly the western world can and should do more to
help, but I think the evidence is overwhelming that pouring buckets
of money into Africa won't make them better off.

To put it in concrete terms:

If your standing next to a big pile of food, and the thing preventing
you from getting to that food is an evil man with a gun, your problem
is not "shortage of food" but a "surplus of evil men".