[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Thu Sep 20 10:15:15 PDT 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 8:58:43AM, zuzu wrote:
> farmers in agriculturally socialized nations (including the USA) are
> paid by the government to let their food rot in an attempt to keep
> food prices artificially high.

Yes.  I here by and for forever state the following: All tariffs and
subsidies are bad.  The USA and all other countries should
unilaterally end them.  They make everyone poorer.

> people are still starving on this planet largely to preserve the
> mythos of "the family farm" in modern nation-states.

Sorry, I don't buy that.  Subsidies make the rest of the world
poorer- they make in impossible for very poor countries who might
otherwise be able to export some of their food to the rich western
world, and they cost the western world money because, well, the
subsidy money has to come from somewhere.

But I COMPLETELY reject the idea that people are starving in the
world because of a lack of available food.  The facts simply don't
support that idea.