[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Thu Sep 20 11:19:04 PDT 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 10:22 AM, zuzu wrote:
> I don't think we're disagreeing.  but the pitch for subsidies isn't
> "let's make everyone poorer!", farm subsidies happen because people
> are convinced of a mythology of "farm life".

I have to ask, where do you live?

I think this is one of the interesting America/European differences.
I don't believe that US subsidies are supported by "farm life"
utopianism.  They're an artifact of the federal system and the power
of the midwest.  I don't think anybody in the US is naive enough
anymore to think American corn farmers are living in some sort of
pastoral paradise.  Of course, Europes are more supported by pastoral
dreams.