[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> on Thu Sep 20 12:10:49 PDT 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Kevin Elliott wrote:
> I think this is one of the interesting America/European
> differences.  I don't believe that US subsidies are supported by
> "farm life" utopianism.  They're an artifact of the federal system
> and the power of the midwest.  I don't think anybody in the US is
> naive enough anymore to think American corn farmers are living in
> some sort of pastoral paradise.  Of course, Europes are more
> supported by pastoral dreams.

I think the popularity and growth of hobby farm properties somewhat
contradicts the idea that Americans do not romanticize farm life.
City slickers playing farmer or rancher is a popular past-time.
Completely silly of course, since hobby farms are Disneyland versions
of the real thing and they lack the primary lifestyle benefit of real
farms and ranches -- being far away from everyone else.

J. Andrew Rogers