[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

zuzu <sean.zuzu at gmail.com> on Thu Sep 20 12:48:21 PDT 2007

On 9/20/07, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> > How many famines were there in Africa before we showed up and
> > forced nomadic peoples to stop moving around (by drawing arbitrary
> > borders) and to live sedentary lifestyles, farming (or trying to)
> > and fucking instead of hunting and thriving?
> >
> > Somehow they lived there for fucking millenia without slaughtering
> > one another, without enhancing desertification, and without
> > starving to death.  Maybe they have something to teach us, for a
> > change?
>

> World Bank and IMF aside, you must be working from a very strange
> version of pre-European African history that bears no resemblance to
> the one everyone else uses.

although I hardly think African life was idyllic before colonialism,
the aftershocks of colonialism continue to be felt.  as Ian mentioned,
the political borders and inherited military governments (passed from
despot to despot) were all framed/initiated by the European states
which first colonized them.  this combined with the aforementioned
meddling (arguably colonialism by a different means) of the World Bank
and IMF (perhaps best illustrated in 'The Economic Hitman'), and the
subsidized weapons from the 5 permanent UN Security Council nations,
are in my analysis why the African states "can't get their shit
together".

p.s. anyone else keeping tabs on the meltdown of Zimbabwe's
hyperinflation and price controls?