Luis' shorts Re: iPhone hacking Re: [FoRK] Thinking of taking an iPhone on an international trip?

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Tue Oct 2 05:54:54 PDT 2007

> This is all very discouraging.
>
> I had hoped that their contractual obligations w/ AT&T would allow
> them to simply overlook rather than actively interfere w/ 3rd-party
> dev efforts.

So, interestingly, the NYT says this morning that AT&T is perfectly
happy with 3rd party apps on *other* phones:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/att-welcomes-programmers-for-all-phones-except-the-iphone/index.html

And it strongly hints that despite Apple blaming it on AT&T ('must
protect AT&T's network') that this has actually been Apple's choice
all along.

I have to say I just don't get it. I thought I understood the lockdown
when I could blame it on AT&T. But if AT&T is not at fault, I just
don't understand Apple's motivation at all. It isn't evil, its dumb.
Apple must know by now that platform platform platform is what brings
in the dough. That is certainly how they've positioned iPod- hence the
huge network of accessories. So... I guess I just don't understand the
motivation at all now.

Anyone? Bueller?

Luis