Luis' shorts Re: iPhone hacking Re: [FoRK] Thinking of taking an iPhone on an international trip?

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Wed Oct 3 14:13:52 PDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> > So maybe it is evil, I just don't understand what is in it for them.
>
> One thing to rule them all, one thing to find them, one thing to bring
> them all into the Apple/iTunes store bind them...
>
> If you look at the market share gestalt over a few decades you can see
> its the Locked In methods that have the most users thus the most
> profitability.

100% right, but you get lock in by building an ecosystem. That is what
IBM did, what Microsoft did, and what Facebook is desperately doing.
By barring third-party apps, Apple is working directly against that.

Luis (noting that Tom is probably not the right person to throw stones
about the bizarre posting habits of others ;)