[FoRK] How does one save a rendered page?

silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> on Sun Oct 7 21:51:59 PDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Suppose one has finished a transaction over the web where one then wants
> to save the contents of the final page. Say, for example, the itinerary
> of a flight just reserved. Naively, one would just use the browser to
> save the html. The problem is that the html often has no content
> whatsoever, just some generic javascript code that generates the content
> with the help of the original site. Which is useless when one isn't
> connected to the internet.
>
> I realize this is somewhat an open question, since there is no real
> definition of what counts as a rendered page, short of the image itself.
> One cut might be saving all displayed text. But what about text displayed
> via jpegs or flash or other non-textual means? The other extreme would be
> to capture the page itself as a jpeg. (Does anyone know browser plug-ins
> to support that? Screen capture doesn't quite work, since most pages are
> longer than my screen displays in one shot. I don't just want to do this.
> I want it to be convenient.)
>
> Stepping up a level, I would frame the generic problem as an attempt by
> web sites try to control the content they deliver, even after the fact.
> Some sites nicely provide content in a form designed to be downloaded
> and preserved outside the site itself, eg, as pdf or csv or something
> similar. Many do not. Sometimes, that is simply an artifact of how the
> site is designed. Sometimes, it is an intentional attempt to create a
> faux kind of security. Either way, those of us using those sites should
> not be subject to such whim. So... what tools are out there to help with
> this?

in terms of browsing a site offline, you have things like apollo from
adobe and silverlight from microsoft. apollo, at least, lets you run
flash apps in an offline mode and hence you could save your data to
that.

silverlight also has, i believe, a similar capacity to store data in
an offline storage. would need to confirm that.

thusly, when you, as the app developer, print your receipt, you can
also export it into this storage zone and then the 'offline' mode of
the app would let you view them.