[tt] [FoRK] Book guillotining - spine removal for amateurs

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Tue Oct 16 09:07:41 PDT 2007

Thanks for your comments everyone.

For a couple books, Kinkos or another print shop is the way to go.  For
a sizable library (>2000 books, >3000 periodicals, conservatively) and
the desire to be doing this indefinitely, I'd much rather be able to
handle it in house if feasible.  Rationale wise, if I'm able to convert
even 20 books to electronic form that I would have had to give away but
could use, I've paid for a moderately expensive cutter (assuming $435,
$200-$240 at minimum).  40 books covers the cutter, scanner, and
software (cutter plus scanner http://tinyurl.com/ywrt3l ).  The result
is that I can carry them with me, search them, reference them, and make
fair use of content much easier.

After some research, I found that what is probably used by print shops
most of the time is a "stack cutter" / "ream cutter".  The latter
implies that it can cut at least 500 sheets of 20# (and 800 for some
units), while the former is usually a little more than 1/2 of a ream,
about 1.5" or 280-300 20# sheets.  These cut about 1000 times before the
blade needs to sharpened.  They have a rotatable cutting stick; I'm not
sure how long they last.  There seem to be several traditional companies
in this space, Martin Yale (the 7000E was the first product in this
space that I noticed), Dahle, and others, who have manual and electric
cutters that cost $1000 and up generally.  The Martin Yale 7000E
12"x1.5" can be had for about $600 on eBay at the moment.

I then found the second tier companies and the import / knockoffs.  The
two respectable second tier players appear to be QCM (
http://qcmcorp.com ) and COME ( http://comemachines.com ).  At least one
seller says that QCM designed and manufactured their cutters for
Kinkos.  All public reviews are glowing.  Both companies have good 12"
and 17" units for something approaching a reasonable price.  The best
source for both, probably a front for the factory in the case of QCM or
at least someone drop shipping from the factory, is on eBay.  Yesterday,
you could get a refurbished 12" x 1.5" cutting QCM-1200E for $200.  17"
x 1.5" with free shipping and a lifetime warranty for $436.  Far east
knockoffs start at $159.

While you can cut through just about anything with these, I'm planning
to slice off the covers and scan those separately to limit blade wear.
For larger books, I'll just slice through the binding in the middle and
debind each half separately.  At first I worried a bit about the binding
pulling lower pages, however the angle on these blades is 18.5 deg., the
paper is clamped, and these are apparently what print shops use, so it
shouldn't be an issue.

After testing this, I'll then have to think about what my minimum
responsibility is for manual DRM.  By the rights clarified in Universal
City Studios v. Sony ( summarized nicely at:
http://w2.eff.org/IP/P2P/MGM_v_Grokster/betamax_20th.php ), I feel that
I am entirely within my rights to "time shift" a book to bits.  What is
the minimum standard of care that I have to exercise for: backups,
archives, sharing with the family, loaning, etc.?  Will I need to create
or adopt DRM just to make sure that I can fulfill my obligations with
minimum effort?  If I adopt some kind of DRM, does that mean that I can
create my own loaning library on the Internet for family, friends, or
even the public?  Is there a fundamental legal reason that trusting
people who agree to abide by a trust-based DRM system isn't enough
"reasonable care" to avoid liability?  After all, a physical library has
to trust that borrowers won't abuse copyright by photocopying, etc. and
they incur no liability to take any measures to avoid this.

Should I keep the spines, like old crusty skeletons, to prove that I
disposed of the physical source?  Photograph myself with the books?
Keep my archive of receipts and make the other party prove that the
receipt is not present?  Simply point out that people give me books?
Should I include a certificate in the scan that it is part of my library
and based on a book I own?

Interestingly, I could easily print the book on demand and use one of
the self-publishing binding methods.  Again, if I track that book's
existence and avoid simultaneous use outside of fair use, then I should
be within my rights legally.  An anthology or compiled reference might
be nice.

Isabelle Hakala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just take my books (that I need the binding removed from) to the
> copy center at ucsc.  Any copy center that has the means to cut
> massive amounts of paper can do it.  They usually charge me $1 a book,
> as long as they aren't busy.  I do this with my incredibly large text
> books and then have them re-bound into smaller parts so that I am not
> carrying the entire tomb around all the time:)  -Isabelle
Tome I hope. ;-)

sdw