[FoRK] SPOT Satellite Messenger

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Wed Oct 17 11:38:55 PDT 2007

I was waiting for something like this...
Those solo hikes in the wilds, flying trips, or future kayak trips in
the ocean will be a whole lot safer, for far less than it used to cost.
I particularly like some of their optional features like: "guaranteed
extraction service for countries or regions with non-responsive
emergency services."

http://findmespot.com/
GPS tracking history on a web site for 14 days, up to 1900 OK messages
sent, 911 for up to 7 consecutive days, and "Power on, unused: Approx. 1
year" (whatever that means).
You can have auto tracking turned on, send OK messages, send
family/friends "Help" messages, or make a 911 indication.

The cheapest personal locator beacon I could ever find, which is the
same as the functionality of a modern aircraft locater radio beacon, was
about $800.  This unit is $149 plus $9.99/mo. or $99.99/yr.

Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 20147 AIM: sdw