[FoRK] The Anti-Memes spread...

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Wed Oct 24 10:04:45 PDT 2007

  My take on the "G" word has increasingly been, to use it.

  People anthropomorphizing everything.

  I anthropomorphize software daily.  For example, I say,
  "Object X passed value V to object Y through method M."

  Sometimes when reflecting on a problem in a software system,
  I envision something like a Tron world, of components interacting,
  passing things to other things, intercepting, and so on.

  It seems pretty natural to anthropomorphize, to me.

  And especially so, the case with something as personal
  as our myths:  How we envision ourselves relating with the
  world.

  Some people develop a sense that their life is like a partner,
  an "other," that they love and befriend.  I personally think that
  this is a very helpful and beneficial way to think about life, both
  for self and others.

  If we look with our hearts, we can intuit the inner lives
  of people all around, of animals, in plant life, and even
  the possible future of expressive life in raw matter.

  We can reason that there may be life elsewhere in the
  universe, as well, or that the distant mass of hydrogen
  may one day explode, eventually resulting in evolution,
  leading to more life that can understand itself.

  Giving special respect, sacred respect, to "life," whatever
  form it takes, wherever it is found, born from raw matter,
  made of matter-- we wonder what to call it.  "God" seems
  like a perfectly fine name for the totality of reality.

  The "difference" is love and care, seeing the communion
  of subjects, rather than the collection of objects.

  Take care,
    Lion =^_^=

  """
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us the "Universe",
a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts
and feelings, as something separate from the rest — a kind of optical
delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for
us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few
persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this
prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living
creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to
achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in
itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security.
  """

  -- Albert Einsten,
    as cited in The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.