[FoRK] Yahoo portal - repeating new coke experiment.

Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> on Fri Oct 26 11:13:37 PDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Portals have always seemed to me to be about capturing eyes for ad
> revenue, much of what functionality it offers wilts to that greater
> "good".

They escape me too.  I just don't get it.  But a gigantic number of
people use either the yahoo front page or a personalized start page on
yahoo for their browser start page.

I think that browse mode combined with regularly pushed updates is a
potent interaction model: you go somewhere with frequently updated
content and see what, if anything, is new.  For myself that means my
personal email, the email I use for lists, my feed reader, and a few
tracker sites like Memeorandum.  For most people it means a pre-canned
thing.

Another way I have for engaging in this interaction pattern is like this --

I have music blogs bookmarked into the same folder in the browser.
When I want some fresh music, I'll go to that bookmark folder and
select "open all in tabs."  Then I click through the top screenful of
each of these tabs to see what my fishing expedition came up with,
which is invariably something pretty decent.