[FoRK] Yahoo portal - repeating new coke experiment.

paul <paul at remsset.com> on Fri Oct 26 17:02:47 PDT 2007

Corinna Schultz said the following on 10/26/2007 3:12 PM:
>> Then again, to each their own, I just hope you portalpeople go yer ad
>> blockers up high. UP HIGH i tell ya.
>
> I've been pretty happy with the ad-blocking hosts file thingy
> modification (where every known bad domain name is redirected to
> localhost). I get pretty "can't load page" images on many pages
> instead of hyper, inane animations.
>
> What does an ad-blocker give you that the modified hosts file doesn't?

The advantage of blocking with the host file is that /everything/ that
touches the 'net gets filtered.  So... works for IE, too.

A disadvantage is that a huge host file can slow your system.

An ad blocker is easier to configure and tweak.  AdBlock Plus works
quite well for Firefox and Thunderbird.  You can use wildcards so you
don't have to block each and every Doubleclick (for example) server, you
just block *doubleclick*.

You can also block individual items.  For example, Jerry Pournelle's
site has an annoying animated blimp gif....

I used WebWasher for years.  It's a proxy server.  I bought a new PC and
changed from Win98SE to XP.  I must be a dolt because I couldn't get
WebWasher to work.  AdBlock Plus works... I don't use IE anyway.

paul