[FoRK] Book Mooch

Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> on Mon Oct 29 09:34:45 PDT 2007

I'm kind of surprised that it's almost 2008, and there is no software out there
to take in close-up photos of your bookshelves, and spit out a text list of your
books. I guess the market so far is too tiny to support the R&D required, and/or
today's whizzy college students have no interest in hacking this together?

Of course I know there is existing software mainly designed for cell phone
cameras to figure out bar code data from photos. It seems at the worst these
sites could use something like that, although of course doing whole sets of
books at once from one photo of multiple spines would be preferable IMO.

If there was such a semi-automated data entry method, similar to how MP3s are
auto-labeled from CD track data, I'd be much more likely to use these sites.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/