[FoRK] Book Mooch

Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> on Mon Oct 29 09:39:21 PDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the motivation to do the labor, Ken?  What does your wife get out of it?

A deep sense of accomplishment at getting the books organized.  She
also appreciates the community aspects, although she hasn't used the
forums.

She likes browsing through the collections of people who love books as
much as she does.  The similarity search, interesting libraries, new
books acquired notifications, etc. make it especially appealing to my
wife.

The database's primary purpose has been to keep us from buying the
same book twice, but that's been difficult since LibraryThing lacks an
easy generalized import tool -- you have to have the ISBN and we
didn't keep that information in our old database.

In terms of data entry, she uses a Cuecat scanner (USB, cheap) for the
books with UPC codes.   LibraryThing sucks in data from Library of
Congress, Amazon, etc. based on the ISBN number, and there are clever
features like cover picture galleries so you can identify variant
editions.

Ken