[FoRK] Book Mooch

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Mon Oct 29 10:04:48 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:34:45AM -0500, Brian Atkins wrote:
> I'm kind of surprised that it's almost 2008, and there is no software out
> there to take in close-up photos of your bookshelves, and spit out a text

Recognizing books from the side is even much harder than the front.
I personally find the kind of bar code scanning Delicious Library & Co
are using quite sufficient.

Ok, I don't have quite the 13 tons of books like some people I know...

> list of your books. I guess the market so far is too tiny to support the
> R&D required, and/or today's whizzy college students have no interest in
> hacking this together?

Assuming whizzy college students can do good machine vision (doubtful),
who's going to provide the database?

> Of course I know there is existing software mainly designed for cell phone
> cameras to figure out bar code data from photos. It seems at the worst

Not just mobiles, e.g. iSight is a good video source for that.

> these sites could use something like that, although of course doing whole
> sets of books at once from one photo of multiple spines would be preferable
> IMO.

Would it? You'd need a good source of lighting, a pretty high resolution,
and something to stitch invididual photos into a panorama.