[FoRK] Book Mooch

Matt Jensen <mattj at newsblip.com> on Mon Oct 29 15:37:58 PDT 2007

Quoting Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>:

>> whole sets of books at once from one photo of multiple spines [...]
>
> Would it? You'd need a good source of lighting, a pretty high resolution,
> and something to stitch invididual photos into a panorama.

Database entry aside, taking a good, hi-res photo of your bookshelves
is a great Lifehacker-like way to record your collection.  Most of us
have moved several times, and lost books, over the years, and I wish
I'd been doing this all along.

Related... I check out *a lot* of library books and CDs for my
preschooler.  Before returning them, I photograph their covers
(usually 4-6 books per photo).  I also CueCat their ISBNs now.
Favorite pages are recorded in additional photos.  When the kid is
grown, he'll have a nearly-complete record of what he read in
childhood.  And when we reach about 200 photos, I'll probably make a
Print On Demand book of them.

Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle