[FoRK] interesting video on Hillary

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Tue Oct 30 11:10:01 PDT 2007

On 10/30/07, Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I'm just curious:
>
>   What kind of standing up and making it not so, do you have in mind?

I heard a great bit by James Burke the other day. During a speech he
gave to the Smithsonian he went down a tangent showing just how a
representative gov starts and why its not a great way of doing things
a few hundred years down the road...to paraphrase greatly...

You are living in an agrarian society, the roads are horrible, things
are rough and there are bandits on the way between where you are and
where the government meets to discuss making things better...so you
find some folks who will tough it out on the road and thru the bandits
and other nasty things on the way to the seat of government and
represent your interests. They in turn make their way there and decide
to stay at the seat of the government  for a while as return trips are
not the most enjoyable of things, these folks come to be called
Politicians.  So there they all are talking amongst themselves and
occasionally trudging back to the home area to see if they are indeed
representing what you think, this comes to be called Elections. And
here we are a few hundred years latter still doing pretty much the
same thing.

If you want to hear the real spiel from the horses mouth head over
here  http://smithsonianassociates.org/programs/burke/burke.asp    its
a great speech all around.

A related eye opener came 10 years ago when I moved to Oregon. Voter
based referendum/initiatives  and mail in ballots seemed a nice step
up from what I had come to know back in NYC.

There was a brief flash of a NOTA option in Oregon a few years ago, an
idea I would love to see worked out to some how move elections away
from "I hate this person I am voting for but I do not want the other
guy to win" to "Nope, both choices suck...try again".

Another vector, Gary Kasparov was talking on NPR  about how coalitions
work out in Russian politics. Yep Russia is one messed up political
landscape but it seems in all that muck and mire Kasparov and others
are trying to get a grip on making it otherly.

I also think adopting the Constitution into law might be a good idea.

-tomhiggins