[FoRK] Politico Quandry

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Tue Oct 30 15:32:39 PDT 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Tom Higgins wrote:

> On 10/30/07, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>>
>> What's in short supply are answers. ;-)
>>

> I don't see it like that. I think there are some great answers to some
> of the questions being asked, like transparency, campaign practices,
> accountability, and  scalable democracy...its just that not enough
> folks want to listen to the answers let alone entertain their use as
> it would erode a power base, level of comfort, or perish the though
> the status quo de jour .

Hmm, I don't think there's any clear path for getting the average joe
from complacency to action on any of those issues.  It's sad that
most of them don't even recognize the issues;  even my very-bright
wife is almost completely disenfranchised / disillusioned when it
comes to politics;  it's challenging just  convincing her to go vote
(for whatever candidate, just do it) in the presidential election,
much less get involved any more actively.  (Cf. "fatalism.") :-(

> Action, thats the tough nut. How do we, in small and large ways, break
> the nightmare cycle we seem to be suck in?

Sorry, that's what I meant, we're on the same page --- action ==
answers (to that very question.)  (A non-actionable answer isn't very
useful, IMHO...)

I'm more interested in hearing about large ways;  I'm not sure the
"think globally, act locally" / small ways that may have worked
before can prevail in the present landscape.  I think it's a new era
of strategic control of information rather than block-level campaign
tactics.

jb