[FoRK] awesome firefox extension

silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> on Thu Nov 1 15:51:30 PDT 2007

On 11/2/07, Sat N <sateesh.narahari at gmail.com> wrote:
> It might be detecting AU location based on your IP address, not
> cookies. Yahoo is no different either, I went to my.yahoo.com without
> logging in, and saw that they had local news for Denver - so, they
> must have had figured it out from my originating IP address.

no, it's not that it's localised, it's that - at the top of the page
it has the current google account i am logged in with. i've actually
been specifically going to .com.AU for years, to avoid it doing the
same thing with .com. The issue is that it's started, somehow, sharing
it's cookie with the .com.au domain, or maybe it looks me into
gmail.google.com.au [haven't checked that].

you may be interested in tor (http://www.torproject.org/).

> On 11/1/07, silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > note that this doesn't work, well, with the 'newer' releases of gmail
> > yet, and also it is actually supported by google because you'll notice
> > that by default it doesn't do anything to help your privacy. i do love
> > it though.
> >
> > but i don't believe the cookie randomisation actually works.
> >
> > for example, if i log in to gmail.google.com, it still recognises me
> > at www.google.com.AU (note country-specific domain). massive privacy
> > invasion, imho, and one of the reasons i've now moved to yahoo for
> > searching.
> >
> > i'd be wary using this extension for any real privacy reasons ...
> >

> > On 11/2/07, Sat N <sateesh.narahari at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Might be old news to some of you, but when I found that I can block
> > > Google from building my personal profile, I had to try it.
> > >
> > > It also blocks Google ads, and Google analytics.  Get it before Google
> > > legal shuts them down.
> > >
> > > www.customizegoogle.com
> > >
> > > Wonder if this is developed using greasemonkey.
> > >

> > --
> > mike
> > http://lets.coozi.com.au/

mike