[FoRK] OpenSocial

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Thu Nov 1 16:44:09 PDT 2007

On 11/1/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:

> I'd be very, very happy to be wrong on this, so please correct me if I am.

I think perhaps one of the ways we are showing each other to the
greater cloud of the intertube mindcloud is via these gizmawidgedings.
Facebook has become, in large part and in my sample set, a series of
these things that show parts of my self and being able to see how
others show themselves...what films do you like, what books have you
read, are you a jedi or a sith, you sired my werewolve and now I have
my own army, we scored close on a likeness quiz, wow you like robyn
hictchcock too?, etc etc.

gizmawidgedings are the containers by which folks are pouring their
beingness into and from which they are drinking in others.

As such, the interoperability of these via standard set of
methods/rules...yea that sort of impacts the realm of those things.

No longer would I have to be on facebook to see this thing or that
thing, i could be on any site that is able to use those api's etc etc.
 Librarything.com has done somehing like this in hier slice of niche,
that being books, but in a more unilateral way:)-

-tomhiggins