[FoRK] This Man Wants To Control the Internet

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Thu Nov 1 16:49:20 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:04:45AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Yeah, read this a couple of days ago...
>
> Here's my question:  what exactly is it that this guy is into /
> doing / etc?

He's applying Robust Control Theory to routing protocols, basically.
Great idea.  I can't imagine that many folks with significant exposure
to Control Theory also do work in CS or IT.

I'd thought about playing with similar stuff when designing a home
bandwidth/latency optimizer, but haven't had the spare time so far.

The things I learned in my advanced Control Theory courses were (a) it's
an amazingly powerful set of techniques for designing self-correcting
systems and (b) I don't have enough linear algebra or DSP to handle it.
I hope to take another whack at it when I get my MS degree in a few years.

Yay hybrid vigor,
  Aaron