[FoRK] Politico Quandry

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Thu Nov 1 16:53:13 PDT 2007

On 11/1/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> The news media sucked so there came to be a fake news media that
> served more than it should be...and thus in a twilight zone twist
> Stewart and his minons spilled over onto that which they were faked
> from...
>
> Why not a Fake Government. A fake pres and fake congress with fake
> lobby groups looking to get fake favors.
>

> The Fake Party....because reality sucks.

  So, ...  I wasn't going to say it, because I didn't want to tarnish
  what I believe is the good idea of "Political Software," (as
  differentiated from "Social" software,) with some wild speculation.

  But, now that you bring it up, I'll speak it:

  If you can build a fake government, in some ways, like the fake
  news agency, what you actually have is, in some ways, a *real*
  government.

  By comparison, perhaps we're having a fake conversation right now-
  because it's not official, or something.  But it's actually a real
  conversation.

  I sometimes wonder if perhaps a new government can appear
  "on top" of the old government.  I imagine something like how
  the layers of the brain work:  We have this reptile brain, and
  then through evolution, we got a mammal brain, and then
  through more evolution, we got a neocortex.

  Could something like that work with our society?  Perhaps
  ye olde US Constitution, aged and rewired and evolved through
  countless historical epochs and so on, stable in itself, basically
  "in power," (like our reptile brain,) could gain a layer through
  civil society.  This would be the "fake government," but over
  time, it would be so important, that more and more functionality
  would be a part of it, and it would somehow connect with the
  "real" government.

  Beth Noveck had a paper called "A Democracy of Groups" --

    http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue10_11/noveck/index.html
    http://communitywiki.org/en/DemocracyOfGroups

  The basic idea is to have some sort of Interface between state
  power, and organized groups.  I don't know how exactly it could
  play out, but I think it's interesting -- like neural linking between
  the neocortex, and the other parts of the brain.

  More on the wild side, and more closely connected with
  the "fake news" idea, see:  The Evolving Storycology Project

    http://storyfieldconference.com/SFC-Atlee-Storycology.html

  This idea is about connecting stories, planning, efforts, dreams,
  and visions, with actual news, and vice versa, in a free-wheeling
  Creative Commons sort of way.  It's weird, but then when I think
  about citizen journalism, participatory journalism, and so on,
  it starts to make sense to me.

    http://www.journalismthatmatters.org/newsecology/ImagineeringJournalismStory.htm

  So, ...  In a weird way, I say "yes," to fake governments,
  fake news, and fake conversations.

  Nature already did it once before, making fake stuff --
  numbers, words, maps, symbols, and other such neocortical
  abstractions -- and that seemed to work out pretty well.

  Perhaps it'll work again?

  -- Lion