[FoRK] OpenSocial

Sat N <sateesh.narahari at gmail.com> on Thu Nov 1 18:57:14 PDT 2007

On 11/1/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On 11/1/07, Sat N <sateesh.narahari at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Its Google's knee jerk reaction to Microsoft's $240 million investment
> > in Facebook. Nothing more nothing less.
>
> Except by all accounts they've been planning it for at least a year.

At any given point of time, Google is working on at least 100
different ideas - its their 20% to your pet idea concept that makes it
possible. ( Unlike its main competitors where it takes a year just to
get your email forwarded for approval ).  Doesn't mean its fully
baked.

>From my read, its an API specification. You write to the API when
developing applications, and the Social networks such as LinkedIn,
Ning etc will have the platform to execute these APIs. Google may be
building the reference platform with built in hooks for Adsense.

The success of this will very much depend less on technology and more
on the partnerships Google builds with social networking vendors.