[FoRK] This Man Wants To Control the Internet

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Fri Nov 2 11:39:38 PDT 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:18:06AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> >He's applying Robust Control Theory to routing protocols, basically.
> >Great idea.  I can't imagine that many folks with significant exposure
> >to Control Theory also do work in CS or IT.
>
> Yeah, I still don't know that I buy that this guy's really had any
> novel insight or has anything other than a sort of cheerleader-overview.

I'd say he's done some very nifty, novel work by using CT to model
biochemical and IP networks, but his insights are pretty much what could
be expected -- that evolved systems are surprisingly robust and stable.

Problem is, there isn't much chance that an interviewer would even
vaguely understand the nature of his work.  Even if he could, I can't
imagine a way to communicate its significance to a general audience.
So we get made-up technobabble and "gee-whiz this guy's odd and smart."

It's a shame, really.  While his IP work is just a novel approach to
efficient bandwidth-hogging, his biochemical work has serious and
immediate applications in synthetic biology, biotech and antibiotics.

Maybe I can ask Craig Venter about it at his Portland ISEPP lecture,
  Aaron