[FoRK] Re: [ptp-general] Facebook used for wifi access control

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Fri Nov 2 16:58:05 PDT 2007

On 11/2/07, Gordon Mohr <gojomofork at xavvy.com> wrote:

> Facebook's proprietary social graph and walled garden may be an awful --
> despicable! -- way to bootstrap trusted communication. But it could be
> good enough for quite a while.

I do not get it, so since Facebook has done something that is useful
now everyone should just drop stop and roll on over to them and stop
working the problem to find a possibly better [1] way?

I am calling that one stinking thinking. SSNs are a great example why
not to let it go that way.  Further I would think if the last 10 years
of innovations have shown anything its that pushing the frontiers of
knowing past the inky blackness of no is exactly what allows corps and
destined to be corps the tech and manpower to grow out from under the
dominant monopodigm.

Push it out and up, some dinkums will find ways to get the use of
pub/priv keys into the mix.

Dont try though and your grabbing your ankles for the same ol same ol.

Thats not a nice thought, lets try to not do that...kthnx

-tomhiggins

[1] better could mean any of the following...more accessible,
interoperable with other systems that are not part of facebook, easier
to use, robus enough to stretch to other unseen needs, not locked down
by any one company (though wih the MSheads and the AppleFanBoyNetwork
being the bulk of society it seems folks like that sort of master
servant BDSM arrangement...go figure) etc etc etc