[FoRK] Example for the forkwidgizmoid team...Fwd: [ptp-general] Facebook used for wifi access control

Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> on Sat Nov 3 06:19:12 PDT 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 06:15:16PM -0400, Luis Villa said:
> I still see no sign of it- all the hype seems to be about a unified
> widget platform for developers, not a unified network/graph for users.

Disclaimer time - I work for Six Apart and I work on the Open Social
Graph project there (not that it's a large company with discrete
and siloed projects but I am actively writing code for it rather than
just skimming the SVN logs)

Anyway, the genesis of the project is kind of interesting full of the
kind of synchronicity and coincedence which renders it unfilmable (if,
in the future, there turns out to be a market for summer blockbusters
about software projects) because it it just seems too cheesy and
unbelievable.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the status of various NDAs and embargos are at
the moment but, suffice to say - Brad Fitzpatrick and David Recordon
started the project at which point Brad left to go work at Google on
mystery-projects and David came back to Six Apart whilst continuing to
sit on the board of OpenID.

Meanwhile - we're releasing code for the Social Graph thing, Google's
just announced OpenSocial with us as partners and OpenSocial doesn't
really make much sense as a "Open Version of Facebook" without an open
social graph.

http://bradfitz.com/social-graph-problem/
http://www.sixapart.com/about/news/2007/09/were_opening_th.html
http://www.slideshare.net/daveman692/web2summit-opening-up-the-social-graph/
http://www.sixapart.com/about/news/2007/10/a_river_of_rela.html
http://updates.elsewhere.im/
http://www.sixapart.com/about/news/2007/11/opensocial_kill.html

Sorry for the profusion of Six Apart news posts in that link dump.