[FoRK] Example for the forkwidgizmoid team...Fwd: [ptp-general] Facebook used for wifi access control

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Sat Nov 3 06:50:12 PDT 2007

On 11/3/07, Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 06:15:16PM -0400, Luis Villa said:
> > I still see no sign of it- all the hype seems to be about a unified
> > widget platform for developers, not a unified network/graph for users.
>
> Disclaimer time - I work for Six Apart and I work on the Open Social
> Graph project there (not that it's a large company with discrete
> and siloed projects but I am actively writing code for it rather than
> just skimming the SVN logs)
>
> Anyway, the genesis of the project is kind of interesting full of the
> kind of synchronicity and coincedence which renders it unfilmable (if,
> in the future, there turns out to be a market for summer blockbusters
> about software projects) because it it just seems too cheesy and
> unbelievable.
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure what the status of various NDAs and embargos are at
> the moment but, suffice to say - Brad Fitzpatrick and David Recordon
> started the project at which point Brad left to go work at Google on
> mystery-projects and David came back to Six Apart whilst continuing to
> sit on the board of OpenID.
>
> Meanwhile - we're releasing code for the Social Graph thing, Google's
> just announced OpenSocial with us as partners and OpenSocial doesn't
> really make much sense as a "Open Version of Facebook" without an open
> social graph.

> Sorry for the profusion of Six Apart news posts in that link dump.

No need to apologize; Six Apart seems to be pushing hard to lead here
so you're obviously going to be a good source of info on that.

Thanks for the background- glad to hear that the open graph part of
this is not being forgotten. You mention releasing code- has that
actually happened yet, or still in the planning stages? If actual code
has been released, I've missed it.

Luis (still waiting for google to accept OpenID logins ;)