[FoRK] Software reuse is information theoretically hard?

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Sun Nov 4 10:08:24 PST 2007

jef at jefallbright.net:
> This goes to the heart of an argument, er, discussion I was having
> with a friend last week about the effective extensibility of genetic
> algorithms. My point was that a particular GA can work well within a
> particular problem domain, with recombination of code corresponding
> to synergies already discovered, but must "reinvent itself" itself
> at some point in order to continue growing (as for a hypothetical
> "general" machine intelligence.)

Yep. My intuition is that biological evolution follows exactly this
pattern: long periods of "evolution within a domain," followed by a
phase change. That's why we share Hox genes with sea squirts.