[FoRK] Software reuse is information theoretically hard?

Reza B'Far <reza at voicegenesis.com> on Sun Nov 4 22:54:13 PST 2007

Along the lines of this thread....

I've been doing research and collecting data for a paper that maps the
relationship between more modern software development processes (by more
modern, I mean things that have popped up during the past decade or so) to
software decay rate (for example, IMHO, things like Agile and XP increase
this rate of decay per my findings so far... actually confirming some
personal experience).  Obviously, these processes have their advantages
(reducing short-term cost as opposed to things like waterfall which are more
traditional...), but it seems there is a direct relationship between how
fast a piece of software is renderred useless and some of these modern
processes...

If anyone is interested in collaborating, let me know.

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-bounces at xent.com [mailto:fork-bounces at xent.com]On Behalf Of
Jef Allbright
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 10:39 AM
To: Friends of Rohit Khare
Subject: Re: [FoRK] Software reuse is information theoretically hard?

On 11/4/07, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> jef at jefallbright.net:
> > This goes to the heart of an argument, er, discussion I was having
> > with a friend last week about the effective extensibility of genetic
> > algorithms. My point was that a particular GA can work well within a
> > particular problem domain, with recombination of code corresponding
> > to synergies already discovered, but must "reinvent itself" itself
> > at some point in order to continue growing (as for a hypothetical
> > "general" machine intelligence.)
>
> Yep. My intuition is that biological evolution follows exactly this
> pattern: long periods of "evolution within a domain," followed by a
> phase change. That's why we share Hox genes with sea squirts.

So does anyone here know of any accessible theories on the nature or
expected distribution of the classes of "problems" represented by the
phase transitions?  I'm fairly familiar with work at the Santa Fe
Institute and similar, but I'm not aware of anything we can say about
the nature of these except that they're information-theoretically
"hard."  I keep expecting to see something along the lines of fractal
self-similarity.

- Jef