[FoRK] The Mist and our little religious threads here

Corinna Schultz <corinna.schultz at gmail.com> on Thu Nov 29 11:00:08 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 10:19 PM, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just got back from seeing the movie version of S Kings novella  The Mist..
>
> No spoilers here but let me say it was odd hearing quotes from Fork
> threads re religion come out of the actors mouths. Good timing.

It was a bit exaggerated, but still effective, given that you had
allowed yourself to get sucked into the story already. The
irrationality of the people was rather believable, I thought.

I had a hard time figuring out the underlying theme of the movie, but
some comments on IMDB led me to think that it was about hope and faith
-- too much on the one hand, and too little on the other, and what
forces can lead people to those ends.

Yet nobody commented on the significance of the woman who was the
first to leave the store. Perhaps she had the right balance of faith
and action? I don't know.

An unexpectedly thought-provoking horror movie.

And yes, even though I'd read the original story and therefore knew
the shape of it, I felt the ending was very effective. I don't
understand the people who criticized it. Maybe it's one of those
things where you either get it, or you don't.

All the "good guys" acted within the information they had at the time,
within their best choices at the time. I don't think they can be
blamed for any kind of moral failure -- I lean towards the faith
interpretation I mentioned above.