[FoRK] More faith-driven insanity: kill the teacher!

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Fri Nov 30 12:56:08 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 3:14 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

>>> It's only ridiculous if you're not paying attention to basic
>>> political-behavioral psychology. Fear, threat, and uncertainty cause
>>> irrational, violent behavior against the Other; sometimes that shows
>>> up as religion, but often as politics, or tribalism, or what have
>>> you.
>>
>> Agreed with all of that;  but that in no way suggests, much less
>> PROVES, causality flowing *from* any of those things *to* religion!
>
> Religion is just the tool used to fulfill the much more primal need.

I don't see it that way;  it's a nasty memetic monkey on humanity's
back.

This really devolves, I suppose, to a question of whether one
believes in the literal existence of memes.

I do.

jb