[FoRK] The Golden Compass: AWEsome!

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Sun Dec 2 16:47:01 PST 2007

  FoRK,

  I saw the GOLDEN COMPASS last night;  It was AWE-some,
  I hope you will all be able to relate with the RELIGIOUS FEELING
  and dedication to SCIENCE, LIFE, and FREE INQUIRY that it
  imparts.

  {;D}=

  Anti-Evolutionary-Spirituality Atheists, beware, you're just being
  set up for a trap.  When you get to the Amber Spyglass, you'll
  be hearing that:

    "Dust is only a name for what happens
     when matter begins to..."

  Well, I won't spoil the answer;  However, you've heard it before-
  It's EXACTLY what I was saying, before the atheists here decided
  that I needed to have my metaphorical teeth kicked in.

  At any rate:  Beware!

  But back to the movie-- it's about SOUL, and the DAEMON.
  It's about QUESTIONs and how to hold a LIVING INQUIRY.
  You'll feel RELIGIOUS DEVOTION to the SHARED STORY
  and perhaps a feeling of SOLIDARITY and a sort of
  ENTHUSIASM.  The symbols of GOLDEN SPARKS OF LIGHT,
  the WISHES and DREAMS and CONSCIOUSNESS of LIFE
  that have EVOLVED, the spark of MATTER, DUST...

  There's lots to be AWEd by.

  (Tom, I recommend that you *do not* go.
   Entirely too much AWE;  It's the type of AWE and REVERENCE
   that can pull people into a war.  Which, incidentally, is exactly
   what the characters are gearing towards.)

  So my recommendation is:

  (and excuse me, I need to pull my bullet points out, ...
   ...there!  All set and ready:)

  * if you like a good movie, come check it out;

  * if you hold life to be sacred, you'll find lots to chew on;

  * if you're Catholic, my apologies;  This will be a little difficult,
    I'd still like to invite you to come, I hope you can find something
    to be enthusiastic about, ...

  * if you're an atheist, I think this is a beautiful introduction
    to some of the key ideas of an emerging spirituality that
    is predicated on science and reality, ...

   (I also invite you to check out:
    http://www.spiritualatheism.org/ )

  * ...but if you're a militant atheist,  I think it's better
    not to put your eggs into this trap!

  Take care,
    Lion {:)}=

  "As for the "Authority" business, I've always made it clear that
   theocracy - the political exercise of religious authority, which
   is what the Magisterium in the story embodies - is a special
   example of the regrettable tendency of humankind to believe in
   "one size fits all" answers: to cling to the extreme of dogmatic
   fundamentalism whether religious or not. In fact (and I've pointed
   this out too many times to go through it all again) the purest
   example of theocracy in the twentieth century was Soviet
   Russia."  -- Philip Pullman

  http://filmchatblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/philip-pullman-extended-e-mail.html