[FoRK] The Golden Compass: AWEsome!

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Mon Dec 3 10:06:49 PST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 10:49 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> That's one reason I really love timelines --- they provide at-a-
> glance historical context.
>
> I think it would be interesting to set up a kind of open, Wikipedia-
> like collaborative effort to place any and all historical events on a
> unified, searchable, filterable, linkable, annotation-friendly
> timeline.  Anyone aware of such a thing?

  NO, but I've been *talking* about just this idea for several weeks
  now in-person, and trying to garner energy for it.

  I've *ALSO* been writing about it on-list:

----
 The other end of (B) is games like "the Sims" and "Sim City."
 I believe that one day, not only will we have Google Maps, but we
 will have several "Google History" projects as well.  We will zoom
 in and out of maps of time, similar to but in far more detail to the
 maps at the beginning of Hegel's book.  Different societies will have
 different maps of time, but I believe that we will have them, and
 we will see the great complexities that are present.  We will see
 the tapestry.  The map is not the territory, but it can easily become
 part of it -- these sorts of maps may well change history.
----

  In fact, **as you can see,** I've been *arguing* that these
  sorts of maps will contribute to a social awakening, of the
  sort that we're presently experiencing through social networking
  software and such.

  Do you understand now, Jeff?
  Does it make sense?
  Do you see the picture I'm painting?