[FoRK] for the west coast forkies

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Thu Dec 6 19:31:52 PST 2007

25th anniversary...

I very much preferred my Atari (400 / 1200xl (which I still have)).  The
C64's were junk hardware and software by comparison.  But they were
cheap.  Too bad.

It would be an interesting exercise / hobby to do a retro-engineering
project of building competitive hardware and software using only 1982
hardware technology and modern software sensibility.  Keeping in mind
some impressive software such as Wordpress's ability to page a large
file efficiently on floppies in CP/M80 at about the same time, it would
be kind of interesting.

sdw

Zee Roe wrote:

> c64 10th anniversary geekfest:
>
> -----
>

> Lead Sponsor: Liquid Computing, Inc.
> Co-Sponsors: ATA Ventures, VenGrowth Asset Management, Inc., Sage
> Communications, and Viewstream
>
>                                    Featuring
>

>           Adam Chowaniec Chairman of the Board, Liquid Computing, Inc.
>          (Former VP of Technology at Commodore and Developer of Amiga)
>
>             William Lowe Chief Executive Officer and President, NEPS
>             (Former President of the Entry Systems Division at IBM)
>
>              Jack Tramiel Founder and CEO, Commodore International
>                    (Former President and CEO of Atari Corp.)
>
>            Steve Wozniak Co-Founder, Apple Computer (now Apple, Inc.)
>      John Markoff Moderator, New York Times Journalist, Lecturer and
> Author
>

> The Commodore 64 (C64) was an 8-bit home computer released by Commodore
> in August, 1982, and during it’s lifetime (between 1982 and 1994), sales
> totaled tens of millions of units, making it one the best-selling single
> personal computer model of all time. Approximately 10,000 commercial
> software titles were developed for the Commodore 64 including development
> tools, office applications, and games.
>
> Early entrants of microcomputers began as early as 1975, with the first
> models available in retail stores around 1977. In 1981, The IBM PC
> release legitimized and expanded the market. During this era of
> microcomputer innovation, the market was dominated by the IBM PC, the
> Commodore 64, the Atari 8-bit family, the Apple II, and Tandy
> Corporation's TRS-80.
>
> The C64 made an impressive debut at the 1982 Winter Consumer Electronics
> Show, as recalled by Production Engineer David A. Ziembicki: "All we saw
> at our booth were Atari people with their mouths dropping open, saying,
> 'How can you do that for $595?'"
>
> Although the history of the Commodore 64 is rich, the history of the
> people and the companies that developed these early personal computers is
> also critical to the personal productivity tools and business solutions
> we often take for granted in our daily lives.
>
> Join us for a well-deserved celebration that spawned a tremendous market
> for home, small business, distributed and networked technology uses.
> These technology advances provided a foundation for many companies and
> technologies driving the Internet, wireless, social networking and other
> innovative technologies underway.
>
> We thank our panelists in advance for providing recollections and
> perspectives from their early experiences and welcome their stories from
> a time that produced the foundation of our current technological society.
>

> Where    Computer History Museum
> Hahn Auditorium
> 1401 N Shoreline Blvd
> Mountain View, CA 94043
> Directions
>
> When
>
> Monday, December 10, 2007
> 4:30 - 5:30 pm Press Reception
> 6 pm Member Reception
> [...]

Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 94043 AIM: sdw