[FoRK] 16 year old girl "Peace and Love"d to Death over Hijab

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Mon Dec 17 16:53:06 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 07:52:10AM -0800, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> >>Tut, tut, Aaron. Don't you realize that *every* evil act committed by
> >>a religious person *must* be because of their religion, whereas any
> >>good act done by a religious person is to due to social and cultural
> >>factors?
> >
> >That doesn't help things.  Nor does sanctimony.
>
> I 100% agree with you; sorry if you missed the irony.

I did catch the sarcasm, though.  Thanks for demonstrating that such an
idea is considered so obviously ludicrous it'd *have* to be sarcasm.

Meanwhile, the converse idea--that religion is what makes people act
good, while cultural and social factors ("bad influences" like TV, peers
and the corrupting influence of Darwinism and rampant Secular Hedonism)
are what make people do evil--is taken as obvious, Gospel truth by
religious people worldwide.

Problem is, the second idea is at least as ludicrous as the first.  Most
religions provide a jumble of moral ideas and lessons varied and vague
enough to justify nearly any good *or* evil act.  Meantime, I'd argue
that most modern social and cultural factors are amoral.

So does either make much difference in people's actual moral choices?

I blame sunspots,
  Aaron