[FoRK] "Peace and Love"

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Mon Dec 17 17:38:56 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 5:06 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar
<drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:
> Is our behavior simply a reflection of genetics and external culture,
> so nothing really matters?  Or, on what basis can/should we attempt to
> mold culture and/or behavior to improve morality?  Or are even those
> attempts tainted by our *own* cultural biases?
>
> -- Ernie P.

  Hmm...

  ..reminds me of the Ultima IV questions...

  * "If the public set of ethics which evolved from the days of
primordial survival is impure, how can we achieve a clean foundation
upon which to build a life of virtue?"

  * "Is living a life of virtue an essential element of civilization,
or can society survive the test of time without such principles?"

  * "How might we ensure the long-term continuation of our new-found
peace? What systems of laws and ethics will ensure the continued
happiness of all our people?"

  I do hope someone here on FoRK will read the whole set:

    http://lion.taoriver.net/?p=37

  My own thought is:  There is good & evil, not as metaphysical forces
or aetheric spirits, but as constructions of the mind that reflect
health or anomie at mythic levels within the individual.

  My thought is that it is not completely codifiable, nor binary, nor
is it contained-- that there is a perpetual evolution to it.  (A
species is not codifiable, nor binary, nor contained, either, as a
point of comparison.)

    http://communitywiki.org/en/ParadoxOfExpression

  I think that ethics is not just set, and waiting to be discovered,
but also creative and generative, and thus requires creative acts such
as the invention of virtue metaphysics like Lord British did:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtues_of_Ultima

  ...and like countless societies before have done.

  Aristotle noted that the person represents the society (the Polis)
they come from, and seemed to be (my memory of his books) okay with
different cities having different creative expressions of virtue,
different virtues or models of what they favored.

  I am not a relativist, I believe that Hegel's social evolution of
resolving contradictions actually works:  That there is a "better eye
design," even though the development of eyes doesn't have a telos.