[FoRK] "Peace and Love"

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed Dec 19 13:49:41 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Kevin Elliott wrote:

>> On Dec 17, 2007 5:06 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar
>> <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:
>>> Is our behavior simply a reflection of genetics and external
>>> culture,
>
> "Simply" may paper over one of the single most complex questions of
> human development.  What ever makes us who we are, it sure as hell
> isn't "simple"....

This is the mind-blowing part of this whole recurrent conversation,
from my perspective...  As if something as deep and inherently
mysterious and complex and wonderful as, well, "everything" NEEDS
some sort of neatly-wrapped supernatural "explanation" to validate
it.  Nature's not enough --- too cheap and tawdry, too simple, too
--- mundane;  we've gotta have super-nature.

Perhaps if some of these folks spent less time with their heads
buried in their favorite religious texts, and / or with eyes screwed
tightly closed in prayer, and / or trying desperately to figure out
how to make sure that their neighbors' kids are legally compelled to
be indoctrinated in the One True Faith (tm), and more time observing
the world around them --- they'd realize just how bizarre this need
from something beyond nature can seem.

$0.02,

jb