[FoRK] "Peace and Love"

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> on Wed Dec 19 14:15:04 PST 2007

Hi Jeff,

On Dec 19, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> Perhaps if some of these folks spent less time with their heads
> buried in their favorite religious texts, and / or with eyes screwed
> tightly closed in prayer, and / or trying desperately to figure out
> how to make sure that their neighbors' kids are legally compelled to
> be indoctrinated in the One True Faith (tm), and more time observing
> the world around them --

Actually, I agree with you.  I think our religious leaders spend far
too much time on judging others and justifying themselves then
actually, y'know, caring for other human beings.  Hell, I probably do
too.

> - they'd realize just how bizarre this need from something beyond
> nature can seem.

Hmm, maybe. Then again, maybe if you spent less time feeding your
bitterness by dwelling exclusively on the wrongs done in the name of
religion (though there are many), you might realize that  religion can
-- at least sometimes -- inspire people to great works of beauty,
humanity, service, and even scientific inquiry...

Which wouldn't end this debate, but just might make it  a wee bit more
civil and productive.

-- Ernie P.