[FoRK] "Peace and Love"

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed Dec 19 20:30:58 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 4:15 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> On Dec 19, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>> Perhaps if some of these folks spent less time with their heads
>> buried in their favorite religious texts, and / or with eyes
>> screwed tightly closed in prayer, and / or trying desperately to
>> figure out how to make sure that their neighbors' kids are legally
>> compelled to be indoctrinated in the One True Faith (tm), and more
>> time observing the world around them --
>
> Actually, I agree with you.  I think our religious leaders spend
> far too much time on judging others and justifying themselves then
> actually, y'know, caring for other human beings.  Hell, I probably
> do too.
>
>> - they'd realize just how bizarre this need from something beyond
>> nature can seem.
>
> Hmm, maybe. Then again, maybe if you spent less time feeding your
> bitterness by dwelling exclusively on the wrongs done in the name
> of religion (though there are many),

Uh huh, that's all I do, just *feeding my bitterness...*

That sounds an awful lot like the standard right-wing refrain these
days about "angry liberals" and "Bush derangement syndrome" and
"haters."  (Apparently these guys haven't ever listened to themselves
talk about Clinton;  if Hillary didn't exist they'd have to invent
her just to validate their spleen-venting low these 8 years post-
Bill...)

It's true, I just can't seem to overlook millennia of FUCKING EVIL in
order to give the Stepford Soccer Mom at the Sunday devotional, who
is dishing out that Campbell's-mushroom-soup-and-green-bean-casserole
her proper dues.  (I see your new theory looming:  I hate religion
because I'm a food bigot.)  I mean, I'm so fucking shallow to not be
able to see all the GOOD in that (while, btw, her song leader husband
screws the reverend's wife on the side, while said reverend is off
blowing the Sunday tithe in Vegas, while the youth minister diddles
the adolescents --- but sure as shit they'll come together to elect
another slate of even-more-loathsome Republicans...)

Right...

Look, you know what, if just ONE of you apologists could step up and
admit that the Church (in general) has NOT historically been a
general force for good and that you COLLECTIVELY have some serious
work to do to even come close to having the kind of moral authority
and righteousness that you've asserted was yours all these centuries,
only then could I even BEGIN to assume any sincerity.  Sincerity
begins with humility, and the burden of historical debt is enormous.
You know, something other than "yes there are many wrongs done in the
name of religion, but there are many (more is implied) goods as well."

But of course, that's never going to happen --- because the believers
are all True Believers (and therefore aren't going to let facts ---
scientific, historical, or otherwise --- get in the way of their
beliefs) or cynics who are part of the problem in the first place.

Apropos your comment, is it entirely impossible for you apologists to
accept that somebody can PASSIONATELY reject your drug of choice, yet
for LEGITIMATE reasons?  Oh no, clearly, anybody who can't get past
the FACTS OF HISTORY is just a hater.

jb