[FoRK] "Peace and Love"

paul <paul at remsset.com> on Wed Dec 19 22:02:33 PST 2007

Jeff Bone said the following on 12/19/2007 3:49 PM:

> On Dec 18, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Kevin Elliott wrote:

>> "Simply" may paper over one of the single most complex questions of
>> human development.  What ever makes us who we are, it sure as hell
>> isn't "simple"....
>
> This is the mind-blowing part of this whole recurrent conversation, from
> my perspective...  As if something as deep and inherently mysterious and
> complex and wonderful as, well, "everything" NEEDS some sort of
> neatly-wrapped supernatural "explanation" to validate it.  Nature's not
> enough --- too cheap and tawdry, too simple, too --- mundane;  we've
> gotta have super-nature.
>
> Perhaps if some of these folks spent less time with their heads buried
> in their favorite religious texts, and / or with eyes screwed tightly
> closed in prayer, and / or trying desperately to figure out how to make
> sure that their neighbors' kids are legally compelled to be
> indoctrinated in the One True Faith (tm), and more time observing the
> world around them --- they'd realize just how bizarre this need from
> something beyond nature can seem.
>
> $0.02,
>
> jb

Maybe the folks "with their heads buried in their favorite religious
texts" etc. just don't know better and perhaps can't understand or
learn.  They might be understanding the world the best they can.

Everyone is stupid about something.

paul
--
    http://remsset.com

    You read the book, you turn the page,
    You change your life in a thousand ways...