Confession Re: [FoRK] "Peace and Love"

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Dec 20 13:46:13 PST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 3:18 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Um, which part isn't going to happen?  My admission, or your
> beginning to assume sincerity? :-)

Fair enough, I don't doubt your sincerity.  But neither do I retract
my previous classification scheme;  I'm just having trouble figuring
out where to slot you, now. ;-)

>> Apropos your comment, is it entirely impossible for you apologists
>> to accept that somebody can PASSIONATELY reject your drug of
>> choice, yet for LEGITIMATE reasons?  Oh no, clearly, anybody who
>> can't get past the FACTS OF HISTORY is just a hater.
>
> There are many legitimate reasons for rejecting religion, and
> you've named a good number.  But those are really reasons to
> suspect and/or critique religion.  You really seem to hate *all*
> religion, which seems either an oversimplification or a reaction to
> something else.

To me, the future's not just a hypothetical.  I quite literally and
passionately buy into the existential arguments of e.g. Bostrom.

I see no graver threat to the future than institutionalized
irrationality, which is all I can see whenever I examine religion
unsentimentally;  and I see no real hope of it becoming anything
else, and every indication of it becoming even more pathological than
it has been in recent history.

 From those points, everything else about my stance in this follows
quite simply.

jb