Confession Re: [FoRK] "Peace and Love"

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Dec 20 14:00:55 PST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 3:18 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

>> You name a SPECIFIC  good thing that has been done in the name of
>> religion, and I will counter to illustrate how that action was
>> either (a) self-serving, (b) not "religious" at all, or (c) in
>> some way dependent on more "evil" actions or motivations.
>
> My cousin (who was a wealthy doctor in Illinois) spent three years
> of his life -- with his wife and two kids -- working at a mission
> hospital in the jungles of Africa.  Yeah, they preached the gospel
> when they had a chance, but mostly they spent a lot of time in
> pretty miserable surroundings healing sick people who would never
> have gotten any other care.  Because he believed that's what the
> love of Christ would have him do.

A cynic would say that a True Believer who did this was merely
currying favor with a juvenile god.  A rationalist would even applaud
this as, at least, being consistent with the True Believer's stated
beliefs;  three years of gutting it out is a small price to pay for
an eternity of "perfect" reward.

jb