Confession Re: [FoRK] "Peace and Love"

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Thu Dec 20 16:48:46 PST 2007

  My own thoughts:

  * I agree with efforts to argue against superstition in our
    societies thinking.

    It's the 21st century.
    I present no defences for superstition.

  * I value the heart, wherever it's found.

    Otherwise, we are in some weird inerrantism.

  * Ernie's brother is virtuous.

    Ernie's brother probably thought that the only way to win points
    with God is to accept Jesus Christ as Lord.

    He's not winning brownie points by being good, and I'll bet he
    even rejects that notion.  Rather, he's genuinely being good,
    because he believes it is good.

  * on Language:

    I think that insisting that people use "The Kings English" or any
    other particular set of meanings for words is oppressive.
    (compare Jeff Bone's "I'm trying to figure out which of my boxes
    you go into.")  Understood terminology is generally regulatory.
    I agree with cyberneticists that **Anti-Communication** is a sign
    of health, and reverses anomy.

      http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Asc/ANTICOMMUNI.html

    Recall that in 1984, the effort was to get all people to use the
    same tongue, and to try to reduce that (even) to a single,
    glorious word ("obey?").

  * More specifically, my use of the word "God" to refer to "the
    myriad systems of the world larger than myself" is, I argue,
    perfectly reasonable and appropriate, with no other good
    substitute.  Further, that the referent is something worth
    talking about.  This ties in with notions of the worth-whileness
    of the subjective, something many here have denied any value to.
    New ideas, yay.

  Finally, I can't help but note how *anesthetizing* this crusade
  against religion seems to be.  I can't help but feel that the goal
  is to keep people divided, one family to a home, (lest "stupid
  people unite,") and passionless (lest people become "confused.")
  Losers seem to be allowed to help others, (permissible,) but they
  need to remember that it's just brain states at work, lest clear
  view of science be eclipsed by rogue notions of goodness or virtue.

  The heart is irrational, and while it can entertain utilitarianism,
  it doesn't seem to be particularly utilitarian to me.  We should
  thus (if we value the heart) oppose all efforts to maximize
  rationality, except where it is done in service of the heart.