[FoRK] ProjectFork: Create a geek colony

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Fri Dec 21 17:19:57 PST 2007

  I've been asking myself, "How can I make a geek colony?"

  The big question I have is, "How does the geek colony interact with
  the lesser-involved?"

  Specifically: Geeks are mainly male.  If there are girlfriends,
  wives, or children involved, they are generally NOT
  (self-professed) geeks.

  So, ...do you have a two-tier system of participation?
  ...Or do you broaden the vision from "geek colony" to something
  that is easier for a whole family to participate in?
  ...Or what?

  When I lived in Santa Cruz, CA, I used to visit the Armory.

    http://www.armory.com/

  It was one of several "geek houses" in the hayday (1990's.)

    http://www.geek.org/geekhouse.html

  Mainly college kids, though, and if I remember right, rapid
  turnover.  (Which might not be a problem to you.)

  Presently, I use Saturday House, and promote Saturday House as a
  path, for people who want to do this sort of thing:

    http://www.saturdayhouse.org/

  It's durable (in our experience,) and costs nothing to start up.

  But I have my eye on "the geek colony."

  I was looking at alternative living arrangements (cohousing,
  housing co-ops, etc.,.) and realized that my visions were not so
  much about *living together,* but rather, about *collaborating
  together.*

  College dorms (HMC, Stanford) and the Federation of Damanhur are
  what I look at now, for models.

    http://www.damanhur.info/

  Merely "living with others" isn't quite what I want; Neither is
  "doing art-projects next to others" either.  Actual group
  collaboration wherein the creativity of each person is nourished is
  what I find exciting.

  tc,
    Lion