[FoRK] ProjectFork

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Sat Dec 22 17:30:18 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 02:54:12PM -0800, Tom Higgins wrote:
> [...]
> Maybe it comes through with nothing more earth shattering  than say
> something like bookmooch, or Tuxdriod, or a better way to let non
> profits organize tthemselves into the greater sums of their parts.....

Well, I will say that both in Portland and in (the real) Vancouver, I've
chatted with techies and nonprofit folks, and major themes were (1) how
to boost collaboration and cooperation* between orgs with similar goals
and complementary abilities, and (2) how to get all this nifty free
software and cheap hardware out where it can help nonprofits.

Having worked on Free Geek Portland's effort to deploy a clinic
management system at a local mental-health org, I can say that it can be
as expensive and messy as any other major deployment, even with
volunteer labor.  OTOH, I believe there are ways to promote, plan, fund
and manage such projects in ways that minimize expense and hassle, while
maximizing the benefit to the greater nonprofit community.

We hosted "Portland Penguin Day", an OSS/nonprofit conference in
Portland for a couple years.  Looks like those still go on elsewhere in
the US: http://www.penguinday.org

We have the technology and the techies to string it together, but we
lack the salesmen, system-analysts and project-managers.  We also lack
the sysadmins for long-term maintenance.

Any ideas?
  Aaron

*"Synergy" is the proper word here, but it's been drained of its meaning.