[FoRK] materialism

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> on Sat Dec 29 10:05:59 PST 2007

Hi Lucas,

On Dec 29, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> Lately I have stopped saying that I am an atheist.  Instead I am
> saying that I am a materialist.

Cool!

> I like this because it rejects all kinds of mysticism, not just the
> mega religions.  This is good because private beliefs in informal
> magic are more common among my peers than active belief in
> Christianity, Judaism, or Islam.

I appreciate the attempt to frame things in a positive light.  Could
you perhaps elaborate a bit more?  For example, do you also consider
belief in things like "love" and "beauty" aspects of mysticism? Or do
you have a way to define so-called "transcendent" values in material
terms?

-- Ernie P.