[FoRK] materialism

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Sat Dec 29 13:06:19 PST 2007

  OK!  {:D}=

On Dec 29, 2007 12:20 PM, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Love, beauty and the like are not the captives of some imaginary sky
> god and its millions and millions of sheeple, much as they would love
> to claim monopolistic control of them.

  Yes!  Love, beauty, virtues, stained glass windows, the imagery of
  the heart and of the mind, striving for what is valuable --

  Here here!

  -- they are *NOT* the captives of imaginary sky gods and the
  millions who claim monopolistic control of them.

  So, I want to make beautiful artwork out of my life.
  And I want to do it together with other people.

  I realize this isn't for everybody, that many people want more
  privacy, and want to live more individually.  I'm OK with that.

  But for myself, I want to pool my creativity, dreams, aspirations,
  with others, and live something beautiful with other people, and
  make a contribution to humanity as part of a larger group.

  I want to work and celebrate with others.  I don't want to
  celebrate just ourselves; I want to celebrate the whole network of
  life, all the galaxies, stars, rocks, bacteria, archaea, eucaryota,
  plants, animals, and people.  And I want to invite all the people.

  I don't want to just work by myself; I want to strive towards Topia
  with others.  Doing work on my character, personal development --
  striving to be graceful in conversation (which, I know, I do
  horrible at,) and experimenting with group interaction process --
  as well as doing what we generally call "work," such as working
  with programmers to write communications software, visualization
  software, ...

  This is something of my dream.