[FoRK] Re: Arc's out, Nu vs. newLISP, and a retort to Paul Graham's elitism

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed Jan 30 05:37:30 PST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008, at 10:42 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> God help me, I've been dabbling with Lisp(s) again.
>
> I'm sure you've heard by now, but Arc is finally out:

So I took a look.

And, it turns out, Paul Graham's a phony.

All Arc is, at present, is a little pseudo-meta-circular interpreter
on top of Scheme, MzScheme to be precise.  I mean, this thing isn't
much more than what a first-year CS student works through in SICP.
It's as much a "new and different Lisp" as my own bash setup --- with
a bunch of aliases and abbreviations, a homegrown module system, and
a bunch of wrappers around common tools to make them behave the way I
want --- is "a new and different UNIX shell."  Some of the design
choices he's made are just bad, too.

What a let-down.  I mean, really.

jb